Skip to content ↓

Special Educational Needs

Parents Guide to Special Education in Bracknell Forest summarises information for any parent or carer living in the Bracknell Forest Council area whose child may have special educational needs (SEN). For simplicity, we use the term ‘parent’ in the guide to include parents and carers. Bracknell Forest Council is the Local Authority and is responsible for special educational needs in its area.

It is not unusual for many children to have special educational needs at some time in their school life. As many as one child in five may experience some problems at some stage. Teachers will want to overcome these difficulties and work closely with parents in doing so.

By law, the Director of Children, Young People and Learning, schools and parents have a duty to ensure that as far as possible children’s education is appropriate to any special needs that they may have.

The Government has produced information for all parents whose child has special educational needs: Special Educational Needs—A Guide for Parents and Carers. There is also a wealth of information on the DirectGov website.